Injured By An Uninsured Or Underinsured Motorist?

Suffering a serious injury in a car collision that was not your fault is both stressful and upsetting. Fortunately, Pennsylvania State Law requires that all registered motor vehicles be insured so that, if a collision should happen, you are protected – whether you are the victim or the one responsible. But, sadly, not everyone complies with the law, and learning that the driver responsible for your injury is uninsured intensifies your stress and your concern about obtaining proper coverage when you have to file uninsured driver collision claims in Pennsylvania.

The law firm of Graham & Mauer has experience and skill in helping clients in Chester County, Carlisle County, Cumberland County and Eastern Pennsylvania obtain compensation for injuries when an uninsured or underinsured party is involved.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage – UM

All auto insurance companies in Pennsylvania offer policyholders uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage is a voluntary extension of your own auto insurance that pays compensation for bodily injury to you and your passengers when liability insurance does not cover the person at fault. In particular, UM covers you in the following circumstances:

  • When the driver responsible for the collision carries no liability coverage
  • When the driver at fault is unidentifiable, as in a hit-and-run collision
  • When the driver responsible for the collision is driving a stolen vehicle (the liability insurance of the vehicle owner does not cover the driver in this case)

Uninsured motorist coverage is a smart idea. Without it, you can be left seriously injured from a collision that was not your fault and end up responsible for financing your medical costs – with no disability coverage or other means of recovering lost wages. UM applies to these expenses as well as pain and suffering, though the limits vary among policies.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage – UIM

Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) is also offered but not required in Pennsylvania. It provides compensation when you are injured in a motor vehicle collision with another motorist who carries a minimum policy or whose policy does not cover the extent of your injuries. Your UIM pays the difference between the limit of the responsible party and the total cost of your injury.

How it works

If you need to use UM or UIM, our lawyers can help you file a claim against your own insurance company. It is very important to use an attorney who understands how to deal effectively with insurance companies.

Call Graham & Mauer, P.C. Today to Talk to a Lawyer Who Understands How to Help

Even when an uninsured motorist is responsible for your injury, the attorneys of Graham & Mauer, P.C. make sure you receive the compensation you deserve. Valley Forge and Harrisburg injury attorneys from our firm are accessible to clients via our offices in eastern and central Pennsylvania. Call toll-free today at 610-933-3333 for a free phone consultation, or contact us online.